Reserve Officer Academy
Reserve peace officers /
Reserve Officer Academy
Under the provisions of Iowa Code Chapter 80D training for reserve peace officers is provided by the law enforcement agency for which they are appointed (Section 80D.4). The Iowa Law Enforcement Academy has the authority to promulgate minimum standards for members of the reserve force and the responsibility to certify reserve officers to carry weapons before they may do so in their official capacity. Minimum appointment standards were developed in fiscal year 2004 and adopted in administrative rules. A standardized curriculum for reserves culminating in statewide certification was developed in 2007.
ILEA offers Reserve Officers:
• Reserve Officer Online School
• In-service Opportunities
• Reserve Officer Instructor Certification
Reserve Officer Program
Welcome to the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy’s Reserve Officer Academy training provided through the Auzmor Learning Management System (LMS). Effective September 1, 2021 anyone hired before that date may continue with the program through their agency with testing through nexTest, or may choose the updated curriculum through Auzmor.
How to participate in the Auzmor Learning Management System:
- The Auzmor LMS remains as an 18 month long program.
- The program is self paced. The modules may be completed as quickly as you desire or as you are able.
- Each module must now be completed in order, A-F. At the end of each module is a proctored exam. You must receive a passing score of 70% on each exam. Once that module is complete, you may move on the next Module. After completion of all 6 modules, there is a final exam before certification. All exams must be proctored.
- The cost for training and testing for each Reserve Officer is $250.00. The cost for testing only for each Reserve Officer is $100.00.
The following list of documentation is required before your reserve officer is able to attend the Reserve Officer Academy:
- Reserve Officer Reporting form complete with the minimum medical requirements documentation. Please make certain you provide the Reserve Officer’s email address. Upon receipt your Reserve Officer will be registered for the LMS training.
- An email verification from your agency notifying the Academy if you will be training in-house, or if the Reserve Officer will be training and testing through the Auzmor LMS.
Once received, your Reserve Officer will be sent an invitation from Auzmor to participate with the program, along with useful guides and orientation. You may also find helpful information on our website for the Online Academy under the Quick Links drop down. You may reach Reserve Officer Liaison, Laurie Bolsenga. at (515) 331-5770, or by email at email@example.com.
Reserve Officer Information
Reserve Officer Forms & Downloads
Reserve Officer Weapon Application
For reserve officers to be certified to carry weapons