Home / FAQS



How Do I…?

How do I register for ILEA's Basic Academy?

The Iowa Law Enforcement Academy only accepts applicants for the Basic Academy who have been hired by a law enforcement agency in the state of Iowa. There is no general admission to the Basic Academy.

How do I find a job in law enforcement in Iowa?

The Iowa Law Enforcement Academy does not have job postings for state agencies. You may search for the NCIC job postings, GovernmentJobs postings, or other online job posting sites as well as the websites of individual law enforcement agencies in your area.

How do I sign into my online course through ILEA?

Before the start of your online course with ILEA, you will receive an email to sign-up for our online learning management system. This will allow you to access the course(s) you have been assigned. For more information regarding ILEA’s online courses, please see the Online Academy page.

How do I book accomodations for in-person courses through ILEA?

The Iowa Law Enforcement Academy does not offer on-site accomodations at this time. You may book a room through Camp Dodge lodging at (515) 252-4238, or you can book a room at a local motel/hotel in the area.

How do I report a new hire to ILEA?

If you are representing a law enforcement agency or organization in the state of Iowa, you need to report new hires or staff terminations to ILEA within 10 (ten) days according to Iowa Administrative Code 501-3.2(80B). Please use the Forms page to choose the correct class of employee you need to report on. You will be taken to the digital reporting form you need. 

For Law Enforcement Officers

What requirements must I meet in order to get hired by an Agency?

All minimum standards for Iowa law enforcement officers must be satisfied:
The person must

    1.  Be a U. S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon being employed*;
        *As reference in Iowa Administrative Code 2.1(1) Is a citizen of the United States and a resident of  Iowa or intends to become a resident upon being employed; provided that the state residency requirement under this subrule shall not apply to employees of a city or county that has adopted an ordinance to allow employees of the city or county to reside in another state and shall not apply to an employee of a city or county that later repeals such an ordinance if the employee resides in another state at the time of the repeal. Railway special agents who are approved by the commissioner of public safety as special agents of the department shall be exempt from the Iowa residency requirement.
    2.  Is 18 years of age at the time of appointment;
    3. Hold a valid Iowa driver’s license*;
        *As reference in Iowa Administrative Code 2.1(3), Railway special agents who are approved by the commissioner of public safety as special agents of the department and officers who are allowed to reside in an adjacent state shall be required to possess a valid driver’s or chauffeur’s license of the state of residence of the officer.
    4. Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol [modified for Chapter 400 civil service positions by §400.17 of the Code of Iowa];
    5. Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
    6. Successfully pass physical fitness tests; 
    7. Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties;
    8. Be a high school graduate or hold a GED certificate;
    9. Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20, and color vision consistent with the Occupational demands of law enforcement;
    10. Have normal hearing in each ear (hearing aids are acceptable if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient hearing proficiency to perform all necessary duties of a law enforcement officer)
    11. Be examined by a physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.
    12. Undergo psychological testing.
    13. Undergo cognitive (Basic Skills) testing

    I am an officer who has been trained and certified in another state. Do I still have to go through the Academy?

    No, providing that the person has actually served as a sworn officer in the other state within twelve months before the hiring date in Iowa, and that the training received for certification in the other state was at least 160 hours. The person may then be eligible for Certification Through Examination in Iowa. Application must be made to the Academy within 120 days after hiring. All minimum standards for Iowa law enforcement officers must be met prior to hiring. Although you may not have to attend the Academy to receive certification it is strictly up to the hiring agency if they want you to attend.

    I am an officer who is already certified and who is working for another jurisdiction. Does that person still have to meet the minimum standards?

    Certified Iowa law enforcement officers who move from one Iowa agency to another with no more than a six month break in service are not required to re-verify compliance with minimum standards; however, a background investigation including fingerprint checks and psychological examination are necessary prior to hiring. Agencies may establish additional standards. Civil service provisions and requirements, if any, still apply.

    Do I have to meet the minimum requirements if I am hired as chief of police?

    Yes. They apply to the hiring of all full-time and part-time officers in all cities in Iowa regardless of population.

    Will my training at the Law Enforcement Academy count as credit at other Colleges or Universities?

    Some Community Colleges accept attendance at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy as college credit. Check with your registrars office or the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy for details.

    Can I attend other colleges in Iowa to receive Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer?

    Some Community Colleges have programs where hired officers can attend certification programs provided they have a two-year or a four-year degree in Criminal Justice or Police Science. Again, all pre-employment minimum hiring standards must be met.

    There are also several Regional Training Sites including sites run by the Des Moines Police Department, the Cedar Rapids Police Department, and the Department of Public Safety.

    For Law Enforcement Agencies

    What in-service training is required?

    For annual in-service training requirements, please use the top navigation to go to the Policies page and find the in-service training report. Please note that the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy does not offer all in-service training required.

    Does ILEA keep record of annual in-service training?

    No, the Iowa Law Enforcement Agency does not keep record of annual in-service training required for law enforcement officers in the state of Iowa. Records of in-service training should be kept at the agency level in case of audits.

    Does ILEA conduct testing services?

    Yes, the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy conducts POST cognitive testing and MMPI testing and evaluations for sworn peace officers, civilian jailers, communication specialists, and Reserve peace officers. The testing is conducted at ILEA and at local sites when requested.  The Iowa Law Enforcement Academy will assist sheriffs’ offices and civil service commissions with promotional testing for sworn personnel in sheriffs’ offices. This testing can be conducted at the ILEA or at the local agency. 

    Can we sponsor someone through the Basic Academy?

    Yes. Due to legal changes sponsorship, is now an option for application to the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy. We now accept students not yet hired but who are instead sponsored by Iowa Law Enforcement Agencies. 

    Can I hire a law enforcement officer from outside of Iowa?

    Hiring a sworn law enforcement officer who was trained outside of Iowa is referred to as Certification through Examination. For information regarding the CTE process, please call ILEA at (515) 331-5778.

    What if one of my employees changes their name?

    The Iowa Law Enforcement Academy asks that you fill out a change-in-status form for all employees who undergo legal name changes, such as through marriage or divorce. To do this, use the top nagivation to go to the Forms page. Then select the category of employee you need to report the name change for.

    How much do courses at ILEA cost?

    The fee schedule for ILEA courses is determined yearly by the Academy Council. For the current fiscal year fee schedule, please see ILEA’s Policies page.

    Can some agencies apply different tests and higher standards than the minimum state standards?

    Yes, they can, as long as all of the minimum standards and tests are successfully passed prior to hire.

    Can only certified officers be hired?

    No. Officers have one year from the date of their employment in which to become certified through the successful completion of training at an approved law enforcement training facility. This must be accomplished in order to remain eligible for continued employment. However, liability implications in placing untrained officers on duty should be very carefully considered.

    We wish to hire a person who has undergone radial keratotomy (Lasik) and whose vision is now within standards. Is this acceptable?

    The minimum standards for Iowa law enforcement officers do not address the radial keratotomy procedure; thus it is within the discretion of each individual hiring authority, who must certify to the Academy that all hiring standards have been met, to make that determination. If the question arises, the Academy strongly recommends consultation with appropriate eye doctors.

    Can our city send our reserve officers through the Academy?

    No. Reserve officers’ function under Chapter 80D of The Code of Iowa and their training is provided by the law enforcement agency for which they are appointed.

    What is the decertification process?

    For information regarding the decertification of officers, please see 501-6.2: Administrative Rules. This section covers topics such as what constitutes moral turpitude, when decertification is mandatory, and what steps ILEA takes with the employing agency.

    COVID-19 Response

    What is ILEA's COVID-19 protocol?

    ILEA follows CDC guidelines for COVID-19 exposure, isolation, and quarantine as outlined in the following page. Please see the CDC website for specifics and additional information.